Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- What is Camp Reset?
- What do you mean by “taking a break from technology”?
- How can I go to Camp Reset?
- How much does it cost to go to Camp Reset?
- Why do you have Subsidized Tickets?
- How will you determine who receives a Subsidized Ticket?
- How many Subsidized Tickets are available?
- How will you determine who receives Subsidized Tickets?
- If I am buying a Semi-Private Accommodation ticket, can I request that contribution to the Subsidized ticket fund be allocated to a specific person?
- Is there an age limit for Camp Reset?
- What's up with the nicknames?
- What are the accommodations like?
- Can I bunk with my friend/partner?
- Is there a strict schedule or do I participate in activities when I feel like it?
- What is your refund policy?
- I can’t make it to Camp Reset anymore, can I transfer my ticket to someone I know?
- What should I pack or bring to Camp Reset?
- What type of costumes should I bring?
- What CAN’T I bring to camp?
- What is the shower and bathroom situation at Camp Reset?
- Can I bring a friend?
- Can I bring my pet to Camp Reset?
- What type of food will you be serving?
- Will there be alcohol at camp?
- How do I get to Camp Reset? Will you provide transportation?
- What if someone urgently needs to get a hold of me while I’m away at Camp Reset?
- What if I can’t come for all 3 days/nights?
- What time does Camp Reset begin and end?
- Will I be able to smoke on the premise?
- Camp Reset sounds amazing! Can I volunteer?
- I’d love to host a workshop or session at Camp Reset. How do I do that?
1. What is Camp Reset?
Camp Reset is an adult summer camp and digital detox, taking place beyond the city limits of Toronto, ON.
We are thrilled to announce that in 2017 we will be moving on from our beloved Ecology Retreat Centre to a real, live summer camp at Camp Wahanowin in Orillia, Ontario. Camp Reset will be kicking off at noon on June 23rd to the late afternoon on the 26th :)
Camp Reset was built with three pillars in mind: Connect. Play. Transform.
- Connect: Our goal is to help you rediscover what it means to be a kid again, without the distraction of today’s technology. This means we are creating a full weekend of digital detoxing: no cameras, no smartphones, no tablets, no wifi. We want you to connect with yourself, your fellow campers, and last – but certainly not least – nature.
- Play: Being able to play, without worrying what others will think, is a core part of being a kid. We want you to rediscover that unbridled enthusiasm at Camp Reset.
- Transform: Through personal reflection, pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and taking risks, we hope you’ll find large and small moments of personal transformation and growth over the weekend.
Camp Reset is proud to be entirely volunteer-run. We are a not-for-profit built by some of Toronto's biggest community builders.
2. What do you mean by "taking a break from technology"?
Camp Reset is a digital detox. This means you will be required to check your phones, your cameras, your recording devices (including GoPros), eReaders, and wearable technology. Whatever reminds you of the outside world, we ask that you distance yourself from these items by leaving them in our safe, capable hands.
3. How can I go to Camp Reset?
We're busy working away on planning Camp Reset 2017 and don't have anything to share -- yet! But if you sign up for our mailing list, we promise you'll get details on upcoming Camp Reset dates, ticket releases, programming and more right here. Make sure you add email@example.com to your safe sender list.
4. How much does it cost to go to Camp Reset?
We are taking care of everything for the entire weekend, so you can focus on having FUN. The price of your ticket will cover overnight accommodation (bunk beds and single beds indoors), all meals and snacks — not to mention a full schedule of programming. Programming includes workshops, equipment / infrastructure for the bigger events, as well as the fun little things that will add to the experience of camp. So no need to worry about anything but relaxing and having an amazing time.
This year, we are offering two ticket types:
General Accommodation - $499 + HST.
Semi-Private Accommodation - $699 + HST.
The higher price point for the Semi-Private Accommodations will enable us to dedicate resources towards our Subsidized Ticket fund. Each ticket purchased from this tier will directly support campers where ticket pricing remains a barrier to attending.
5. Why do you have Subsidized Tickets?
We understand that, despite our best efforts, cost of attendance still presents a significant barrier to some who wish to experience and contribute to camp. Camp Reset is a not-for-profit, made possible by the hard work of its volunteer team and camper support. Since our inception, we have set our ticket prices to only cover costs and a narrow margin to ensure the future financial sustainability of camp.
Having said that, we are committed to continually working towards making camp more inclusive. In 2016, we introduced a Subsidized Ticket option and this year we are expanding that program to further reduce the cost, as well as ensure that 10% of total tickets available are subsidized. As camp grows in the years to come, we will continue to strive to expand this program even further as well as find more ways to further our inclusivity mission.
6. How will you determine who receives Subsidized Tickets?
The Camp Reset team assesses each Subsidized Ticket application in a blind evaluation process conducted by at least 3 of our team members to assess the merit of the request.
7. How many Subsidized Tickets are available?
We will have up to 25 tickets available (10% of the total tickets) at the subsidized rate of $249.50 + HST for Camp Reset 2017. Subsidized Tickets will include bus transportation to and from camp, as well as all meals and snacks.
8. How will you determine who receives Subsidized Tickets?
Those who are interested in a Subsidized Ticket can fill out a form HERE. Form must be completed by April 28, 2017 11:59PM.
The team will then assess each of these requests by 3 of our volunteers to assess the merit of the request. Acceptances will roll out in waves, with the first group being informed May 1st, 2017. This group will have one week to purchase their tickets before they forfeit and their ticket is made available. The second wave of acceptances will happen on May 8th, 2017.
9. If I am buying a Semi-Private Accommodation ticket, can I request that contribution to the Subsidized Ticket fund be allocated to a specific person?
Unfortunately, we won’t be allowing that, as we feel that this would create unfairness in the system if some people were getting preferential treatment from Semi-Private Accommodation ticket holders. While we really appreciate anyone who is able to buy a Semi-Private Accommodation Ticket and simultaneously support campers for whom ticket pricing remains a barrier to attend camp, it is important to us that our subsidized program is designed to create an even playing field for all.
10. Is there an age limit for Camp Reset?
Because there may be alcohol on premise, Camp Reset is only for those 19+. We will be checking IDs at registration. The good news is there is no upper age limit! So long as you are young at heart and open to new experiences, you’ll find a warm, welcoming group of campers excited to get to know you.
11. What's up with the nicknames?
By now you've probably noticed we don't use real names around here. Well, that's because at camp you can come as whoever you please! Your nickname could be based on a superhero, an animal, an action, a feeling, a colour, a word you like... We could go on forever. We recommend a nickname that reflects you who are and will be quick and fun to say!
12. What are the accommodations like?
Camp Wahanowin has summer camp cabins with the following features:
- Built in bunk beds
- Double sink vanity
- Spacious shelving room
Depending on cabin and ticket purchased, sizing of cabin will vary.
13. Can I bunk with my friend / partner?
Unfortunately not. We will be assigning beds at random and we encourage you to think of it as an opportunity to make new friends!
14. Is there a strict schedule or do I participate in activities when I feel like it?
There is a schedule, but it’s not strict. This is YOUR weekend; your weekend to play, your weekend to connect and your weekend to reflect, enjoy, abandon and maybe even find moments of transformation. We highly encourage participation in activities and workshops, but we also encourage alone time. The schedule has been built to provide plenty of opportunity to do both.
15. What is your refund policy?
Due to the nature of Camp Reset, we don’t offer refunds. We do, however, offer transfers. If you can no longer make it to camp (we’ll miss you!), you can transfer your ticket to anyone you'd like via our Universe ticketing platform. Please refer to the exchange policy outlined on your Universe ticket confirmation e-mail.
16. I can't make it to Camp Reset anymore. Can I transfer my ticket to someone I know?
Yes! Please refer to the exchange policy outlined on your Universe ticket confirmation e-mail. You will be responsible for managing transfer of funds on your end.
Deadline for 2017 ticket transfers will be one week before camp, June 16th 2017.
17. What should I pack or bring to Camp Reset?
Energy, an open mind and an open heart. We will send an email to campers prior to Camp Reset with a full list, but here's what you can expect you'll need to bring along:
- Underwear (optional)
- Swim suit
- Shoes you don’t care to ruin
- Comfortable shoes and clothes you can PLAY in
- Clothes you can get dirty / wet in
- Something warm for the evening (there will be bugs, so remember to bring long pants and long sleeves for night!)
- Anything that prepares you for rain (activities will run rain or shine!)
- Bathing suit
- Bug spray
- Any activity-specific items will be communicated via email well in advance
18. What types of costumes should I bring?
Feel free to bring your wildest outfits that you've always wanted to try on but didn't think were "appropriate" for grown ups. Luckily, we're all kids at Camp Reset! So you can choose to look like your true self, someone else, or something else... whatever strikes your fancy!
19. What CAN'T I bring to Camp Reset?
We ask that you don’t bring with you a bad attitude, a narrow mindset, or a judgement. When it comes to physical items, we ask that you not bring any glass bottles or weapons. Please be responsible for your own actions and support a safe environment for yourself and others.
20. What is the shower and bathroom situation like at Camp Reset?
There will be plenty of washrooms and showers at Camp Reset, with spacious separate male and female areas.
21. Can I bring a friend to Camp Reset?
Absolutely! Send your friend a link to the Camp Reset website and ask them to hit up the "Buy Tickets" button (when available).
22. Can I bring my pet to Camp Reset?
We love our furry friends but Camp Reset is a no-pets zone–although we highly encourage bringing a 4×6 print of your bff. An exception will be made for campers with Service Animals.
23. What type of food will be at Camp Reset?
We need you to have lots of energy, morning to night. So we’ll be serving hearty, healthy food that will be as nutritious as it will be delicious. In addition to the food we'll be serving at designated meal times, many of our generous partners will be providing free snacks and drinks throughout the weekend.
If you have any specific allergies please let us know when purchasing your ticket, by indicating your allergy on the form.
24. Will there be alcohol at camp?
We will not be providing alcohol at camp, however if you’d like to indulge in alcoholic beverages please BYOBTC (bring your own beverages to camp -- OK, the name may need work!). We request you keep the drinking to a reasonable level, however, as camp is no fun when you’re hungover!
25. How do I get to Camp Reset? Will you provide transportation?
This year, ticket prices will include transportation to and from Camp Reset on the big yellow bus with a group of excited campers. You may also choose to transport yourself, carpool or fly in… That said, everyone who takes the bus has a blast (there is lots of dancing!). But we don't mind how you get to camp. So long as you get there in one piece, we’ll be happy!
26. What if someone urgently needs to get a hold of me while I'm away at Camp Reset?
As you know, phones will be checked in when you arrive and not checked again until your departure. That being said, life is unpredictable, which is why we will provide you with a number in advance for any of your family and friends to call if there is an emergency back home and someone needs to get a hold of you.
27. What if I can't come for all 3 days / nights?
We have designed the weekend to create the best experience possible from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave. It’s a complete experience, so leaving early or arriving late would be like participating in half the race: you simply won’t get the full experience. For this reason, if you’re participating, we do need you to be available from noon of the Friday to late-afternoon on the Monday.
28. What time does Camp Reset begin and end?
We will announce finals details shortly but expect to need to be free from noon on June 23rd until late afternoon June 26th, 2017. .
29. Will I be able to smoke on the premise?
Yes, there will be outdoor space for smoking. We ask that you dispose in the garbage your cigarette butts and ensure you leave no trace behind.
30. Camp Reset sounds amazing. Can I volunteer?
That's great to hear! We are an entirely community-run and operated organization, so your willingness to contribute and share is fully aligned with our culture and values. There are three main ways to contribute to Camp Reset:
- Apply to make an art installation
- Apply to teach a workshop
- Apply to be a camp counsellor
The opportunity to apply to teach a workshop, create an art installation or be a camp counsellor will be available during the ticket registration process -- so please express your interest when you purchase your Camp Reset ticket and we will be in touch.
31. I'd love to host a workshop or session at Camp Reset. How do I do that?
You will be able to volunteer for a workshop or session during the checkout process when purchasing a ticket to Camp Reset. Someone from the programming team will be in touch with you to discuss next steps. We thank you for your generosity!
Image courtesy of Dejan Hudoletnjak.